Skip to main content

Mothers' Day....

This year am paying special attention to the Mothers' Day posts which have already started making an appearance on FB... I guess with R being so small right now, I still am far from really understanding the hoopla around it. And this coming from someone who loves any excuse to make a special day out of an ordinary one! Also as always... am still identifying more with the child than the mother in any mom-child pics I see!!! :)

But anyways... made me think yet again of the huge upheaval motherhood causes in a woman's life...
physically, mentally, emotionally AND intellectually!!!! I remember the early weeks - I used to starve for any adult company and ANY conversation topic beyond potty and feeding! Thankfully its gotten better with a bit of work, but no where close still to being on ur feet and in the thick of action. While mommyhood gives a certain kind of high for sure (especially when R's eyes light up and he gives a big smile on seeing me!), but it doesn't come close to going up on stage and receiving some award for work done by you... Maybe this will change once he starts responding and interacting on his own with greater intellectual exchanges than just 'cheekuuuuu' :)

Anyways - back to the upheaval bit... its been more than a year now since the body was overtaken by this entire baby-phase... A year since I felt that anything I did about my body was in my control. A year since it was kind of possible to pretend being somewhat fashionable and stylish was still in my hands. A year since I could dream of getting into some of the 'cool' clothes I owned. And looks like its still sometime away when I can possibly feel like that again...

However one of the strangest impacts I have felt with this mommyhood in my life has been in the realm of friendships... having had a baby much later in life compared to most of my friends, its been a strange journey for sure. Some friends have automatically assumed a cocky state of interaction - somewhat like a 'I know more than you about this'... Some have probably distanced themselves assuming I 'wont have time for normal things now'.... Only a very few have proactively reached out and offered a sane bit of time-out.
Single friends who I guess I was spending most of time till recently, have almost disappeared! Friends with older kids interact proactively with mostly sympathy - whether I want it or not is not the point.
Friends with younger kids are actually the easiest to deal with - recent experiences make them equally vulnerable I guess. No wonder that most moms will tell great stories of bonding with their kids' friends' moms... At least now I understand one social reality...

Financially I've always been a prudent investor... but now have got an extra worry to provide for... i'll retire before my kid starts earning!! :) Wonder if there are articles written on this phenomena yet...

So all in all... Mommyhood - I am yet to understand you completely... Maybe that's when this hoopla will make some more sense to me... Are you truly the big blessing so much has poetry has been written about... Do most moms go through this wonder-what-the-big-deal-is or maybe its just me????

:)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Main khud hi khud ki hamsafar...

Apni zameen main hoon khud Aasmaan bhi main Apni pyaas bhi main hi hoon Uss pyaas ki raahat bhi main Khud ki khushi to hoon hi Apna hi hoon gam bhi Rakshak main hi to hoon apni Aur shayad apni hi bhakshak bhi Bhanwar mein fassi bhi main hoon Bachne ka sahara bhi Iss safar ka aagaaz bhi main hoon Aur safar ka anjaam bhi Dhoop se tadpana bhi mujhe hai Thandak ki chaaya bhi main Raste ki thokar bhi main hoon Sahara liye ek haath bhi main Raat ka andhera hoon main Chandani ki roshni bhi hoon Savere ki thandak hoon main Aur dhoop ki tadpan bhi hoon Main hi manzil hoon khud apni Main hi hoon apna safar bhi Main hi karwaan iss safar ka Uss karwaan mein main tanha bhi Main hi khud ki hamsafar hoon Hoon apni hi saheli bhi Kab kaise main ban gayi Khud apni hi parchhayi bhi…

A friend's contribution...

Jindagi ke arth kuch badalte hain is tarah, Jaise samundar ke paas ki rait ki satah, Jab lagta samajh aane lagi hai jindagi, Ek aur lahar aati hai paheli ki tarah, Ab kya karein ham is jindagi se jirah, Mazza aane laga hai humein jeene mein isi tarah...

If Only's...

Isn't everyone's life incomplete without at least a few of these 'If Only's...'? :-) life would be absolutely stupidly boring if we didnt have those moments of reflection where we could go 'if only...' followed with a deep deep heartfelt sigh!! To me having these moments reassure me - tell me that am not just human, but also a person capable of learning from my past... If Only i had not given up easily on the first job offer i got.. just because my family didnt want me to stay away alone... If Only I had persisted and learnt singing the way i wanted to... just because i was too lazy to do the bus trips to mandi house... If only i had learnt swimming early enuf.. i wud have enjoyed australia that much more... If only i hadnt made an ego issue out of a simple fight with a friend... and instead gone back and apologized... If Only the guy i had a huge crush on - reciprocated my feelings... ;-) and so on and so forth... am sure its easy enuf to guess that the lis...