Skip to main content

The most beautiful piece of poetry i've read recently...

The Invitation - by Oriah Mountain Dreamer


It doesn’t interest me what you do for a living.

I want to know what you ache for

and if you dare to dream of meeting your heart’s longing.



It doesn’t interest me how old you are.

I want to know if you will risk looking like a fool

for love

for your dream

for the adventure of being alive.



It doesn’t interest me what planets are squaring your moon...

I want to know if you have touched the centre of your own sorrow

if you have been opened by life’s betrayals

or have become shriveled and closed

from fear of further pain.



I want to know if you can sit with pain

mine or your own

without moving to hide it

or fade it

or fix it.



I want to know if you can be with joy

mine or your own

if you can dance with wildness

and let the ecstasy fill you to the tips of your fingers and toes

without cautioning us

to be careful

to be realistic

to remember the limitations of being human.



It doesn’t interest me if the story you are telling me

is true.

I want to know if you can

disappoint another

to be true to yourself.

If you can bear the accusation of betrayal

and not betray your own soul.

If you can be faithless

and therefore trustworthy.



I want to know if you can see Beauty

even when it is not pretty

every day.

And if you can source your own life

from its presence.



I want to know if you can live with failure

yours and mine

and still stand at the edge of the lake

and shout to the silver of the full moon,

“Yes.”



It doesn’t interest me

to know where you live or how much money you have.

I want to know if you can get up

after the night of grief and despair

weary and bruised to the bone

and do what needs to be done

to feed the children.



It doesn’t interest me who you know

or how you came to be here.

I want to know if you will stand

in the centre of the fire

with me

and not shrink back.



It doesn’t interest me where or what or with whom

you have studied.

I want to know what sustains you

from the inside

when all else falls away.



I want to know if you can be alone

with yourself

and if you truly like the company you keep

in the empty moments.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Main khud hi khud ki hamsafar...

Apni zameen main hoon khud Aasmaan bhi main Apni pyaas bhi main hi hoon Uss pyaas ki raahat bhi main Khud ki khushi to hoon hi Apna hi hoon gam bhi Rakshak main hi to hoon apni Aur shayad apni hi bhakshak bhi Bhanwar mein fassi bhi main hoon Bachne ka sahara bhi Iss safar ka aagaaz bhi main hoon Aur safar ka anjaam bhi Dhoop se tadpana bhi mujhe hai Thandak ki chaaya bhi main Raste ki thokar bhi main hoon Sahara liye ek haath bhi main Raat ka andhera hoon main Chandani ki roshni bhi hoon Savere ki thandak hoon main Aur dhoop ki tadpan bhi hoon Main hi manzil hoon khud apni Main hi hoon apna safar bhi Main hi karwaan iss safar ka Uss karwaan mein main tanha bhi Main hi khud ki hamsafar hoon Hoon apni hi saheli bhi Kab kaise main ban gayi Khud apni hi parchhayi bhi…

A friend's contribution...

Jindagi ke arth kuch badalte hain is tarah, Jaise samundar ke paas ki rait ki satah, Jab lagta samajh aane lagi hai jindagi, Ek aur lahar aati hai paheli ki tarah, Ab kya karein ham is jindagi se jirah, Mazza aane laga hai humein jeene mein isi tarah...

If Only's...

Isn't everyone's life incomplete without at least a few of these 'If Only's...'? :-) life would be absolutely stupidly boring if we didnt have those moments of reflection where we could go 'if only...' followed with a deep deep heartfelt sigh!! To me having these moments reassure me - tell me that am not just human, but also a person capable of learning from my past... If Only i had not given up easily on the first job offer i got.. just because my family didnt want me to stay away alone... If Only I had persisted and learnt singing the way i wanted to... just because i was too lazy to do the bus trips to mandi house... If only i had learnt swimming early enuf.. i wud have enjoyed australia that much more... If only i hadnt made an ego issue out of a simple fight with a friend... and instead gone back and apologized... If Only the guy i had a huge crush on - reciprocated my feelings... ;-) and so on and so forth... am sure its easy enuf to guess that the lis...